Learning Experience

My Gmat experience

I had been preparing for arround 2 months for the same.Going through about 1000 Maths Qs , 500 SC , 200 CR , 50 RC , 30 AWAs, 10 Prep TEst 5 Sets ,Og 10 , og 11, Princenton Review , Manhattan Verbal , Scoretop PQs.It has been pathetic performance by me, My experience is as follows.

I had reached test center at 8.25 am got an instruction page read that got all formalities doneLike photographed ,keping an apple , snicker and redbull at Lunch Room. Went in testing area Had to read instructions and fill 5 colleges name I went to write about AWA which are 30 mins each , Analysis of argument topic was a little weird it was about increase in introduction of computer instructions in schol circulum has reduced school dropout rate and thus goverment is allocating more money next year you have to anayze the same.I started getting down my ideas, this is comon in USA but in India these are a little old , definately I argued that this arguement needs more accurate assumptions.


Second was analysis of an issue that "change and innovation are not helpfull for employee" I supported this issue , stating the importance of change. I had written the structure but had to fill in the paragraphs and could not complete a line as time expired.

I Took a 10 min optional break had an apple , redbull gearing my self for quants went with a zeal and started the first 3 qs were easy the 4th was a little tricky and inequality DS got it right , I had made a plan First 15 mins 6 qs then 15 min 7 qs ,then 15 min 8 and then 15 min8 and then 15 min 8 qs. The stratergy worked only till 5th the 6th question was data table with 10 inputs of data with x variable , they were asking the mean , It was the toughest DS I had seen I spent 6 mins to crack that , then 7th qs was geometry one including two circles and tangents , radii and all that ,was confusing as geometry is my stong point I sat down for doing it and took me 5 mins , then there was a complicated exponent question taht was the turning point 8 mins to do that qs , It took out all the cham in the paper being the 8th qs the time was 40 , so 29 qs left and 40 mins , see the pressure guys. How can one expect to perform knowing that you have to complete all the question else you will be penalized. I was broke at that moment , These 3 qs had taken 20 min of my precious GMAT time . After that I didnot know what to do I was just picking answers quickly , Was not sure in many , time was going 15 mins left had 16 qs left , less than a min a qs, fought back in one-two more ones , Last 5 mins went accross 7 question , I knew I could do it but time did not allow , Tear come into my eyes with this situation , If I would even try to get answers I would have been penalized for not completing the paper. 3 secs were remaining when I guessed the last question , I was marking C for most of them. I knew I had missed the oppurtunity to crack GMAT .

English section you need to have the zeal and motivation to do it which I had lost I was trying to concentrate but wasn't sureof many answers , The critical reasoning were tough. I had got three paragraphs one about jupiter's moon surface and linking it water,key was to understand the flow, I may have got many right in this , One RC about differnt typesof grammer book prespective and desprective was really factual but needed a prehand knowledge on the same.
Last RC was retail market on UK compared to itscounterpart it was last one so had done a quick scannning and answered few.

My SCs I think I might have done 2-3 surely right , rest had to pick between two-three. Critical reasoning was the toughest could get what hey looking for but answer options were quiet similar , Like an assumption question was asked in which 3 assumptions were almost correct but you had to choice the best one , After three hours of intense battering how can your brain work so much.

I was in two minds whether to cancel or report the score , but $250 and I thought GOD would be a little considerate for me in luck sde and I would get good but it was worse then expected.

This the sad story of my GMAT first attempt, I could have done much better if I didn't waste my precious time in 3 Maths Qs .So would suggest you whatever happens dont give more than 2 mins more in Quant Qs , I believe if you go wrong in middle you can easily pull it back in the end as Qs are easier and you will have the enthusiaism and zeal to go to next VErbal section , which requires to be alert and can quicly read things , In my situation I did not have that previlege as my poor paerformance in MAths was killing me from inside.

4 comments:

Priya 19/11/07 11:50 PM  

Hi..this s priya... t seems GMAT link has been disabled can u send ths out to friends_s8@yahoo.co.in?
thnkx...
Kaplan- All collections
Manhattan Review Quant
1000 s.c
1000 c.r
Princeton Review
Kaplan Advance 800
Software for TEst -100
Online Test Passkeys
AWA Analysis.

Anonymous,  13/1/08 10:13 PM  

its k arshad u can do it next time

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Vocab Power Updated Daily

  • COBBLED - Repair or mend
  • ABHORRENCE - Hate coupled with disgust
  • INCUMBENCY - The term during which some position is held
  • MITIGATE -Lessen or to try to lessen the seriousness or extent of
  • dubious - Open to doubt or suspicion
  • FOSTERING - Encouragement; aiding the development of something
  • ELICIT- Call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses)
  • PLAUSIBLE - Apparently reasonable and valid, and truthful
  • FORGE - Move ahead steadily
  • BOLSTER (V)-Support and strengthen
  • ECCENTRIC- A person with an unusual or odd personality
  • PATRONAGE - The act of providing approval and support
  • IMPERVIOUS - Not admitting of passage or capable of being affected

Blog Archive

Updates from my other Blogs

badge